PHILADELPHIA, PA — The holiday season has a few absolutes when it comes to food and beverages. Fruitcake. Candy canes. Gingerbread. Eggnog. They are absolute in that typically people either absolutely love them or absolutely hate them. Especially that last one, eggnog. For some, they can’t get enough of that thick, creamy drink sprinkled with lots of nutmeg and swirled with whipped cream (and a bit of brandy or rum), while others run screaming at the mere mention of “nog”.
Well today’s recipe is for those of you walking around with a permanent milk moustache this time of year! These soft, cake-like cookies taste like you’ve just dunked them in a tall glass of eggnog. Perfect for the holidays!
Recipe courtesy of AllRecipes.com
Prep time: 15 minutes
Makes 2 – 3 dozen cookies
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy.
2. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until the batter becomes smooth.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg; gradually stir into the butter and egg mixture.
4. Cover the dough and refrigerate until chilled and firm.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Drop dough by heaping spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet (use parchment paper for easy removal and cleanup). You can optionally sprinkle some cinnamon on the dough before baking, too.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges of cookies are lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Goes great with a glass of milk! (or more eggnog for you true fanatics…) Enjoy!
Be sure to check back tomorrow for our next holiday cookie recipe – Maid of Honor Tarts! And if you missed any of our previous recipes in this series, take a moment to check them out below:
Day 1 – Golden Chocolate Chunk Nutty Bars
Day 2 – Inception Brownies
Day 3 – Traditional Butter Cookies
Day 4 – Devil’s Food Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
Day 5 – Sriracha Peanut Butter Cookies
Day 6 – Easy Jam-Filled Cookies
Day 7 – Raspberry Cheesecake Bars